Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Our Introduction to Critical Theory

It is our introduction to Major Critical Theories as I myself have not put in any thought about this subject before taking this class.  I am Olvard Smith, a 3rd year student at CSU Northridge and as an English major I dedicate this blog to critical literary theory, a class that I always hear other students make reference to taking multiple times.  That being said I won't let that be the case with me as this blog is here as a medium of my thoughts and as a medium for exposing my readership to informative, unique, and somewhat accurate notions of the literary theories of the past 3000 years.  

It is worth noting that the primary source for all of the postings in this blog is The Norton Anthology of Theory & Criticism Second Edition.  The book is an anthology of major literary theories from theorists in the last 3000 years. Literary theory is not all that is found here as there are many theorists of society, history, psychology, etc.  There are various fields of study that create this book of literary theory that is being taught in a college-level English class and at the surface it makes little sense but there is a method to the madness.  The core gathering the collective works of theorist from various fields and backgrounds in an anthology for an English class is because all of these theories are relevant to the act of writing or analyzing various texts.  It is the ability to solidly apply these theories into various texts that lends this book its authority over a high-level college English course.  Through this primary source is how I wish to back up the authority I possess over that which I will speak of in my following blogs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment